The whole point of social media marketing is that it’s free. Isn’t it? Well, yes it is, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a better way to do it.
It’s like online dating. Meeting people in public places is free, too, but why limit yourself to meeting only those who are in the right place at the right time? For a small fee, online dating connects you with like-minded individuals anywhere in the world, and broadens your horizons considerably.
With social media marketing, you can expand the reach of your posts way beyond your personal networks, and make your content explode as a result.
The Benefits of Paid Social Media
1. You pay only for what works. This is rather different from traditional advertising, which can come at a high cost and be largely ignored by the target audience. With paid social media, it’s typically charged on a pay-per-click (PPC) basis. This means you only pay when a user actually clicks on the ad to visit your site or landing page. So no more paying for people who tune you out or go make coffee during the commercial breaks!
2. It’s cost-effective. With budgets starting at around $5 a day for a Facebook ad, you can spend whatever you want and never go over. Facebook will run the ad each day until it’s had enough clicks to use up the budget, and then stop it until the following day.
3. It’s flexible. You can start and stop the ad as you like. If you run it for three days, three weeks or three months it’s up to you, and you can pause or complete it at any time, in the middle of a day if necessary.
4. Paid social media marketing is easy to set up. All you do is input the wording you want, choose an image and provide a URL for the user to land on. Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter all offer paid social media ads, and the platform will approve your ad within a couple of hours of submission.
5. It’s targeted. Social media platforms enable you to target users who match specific criteria. Facebook, for example, makes it possible to choose the state and even the city you want to target, the age group, education level and areas of interest. That way, your ad is only shown to people who are more likely to click on it.
6. You can reach a large audience. The sky’s the limit on who you can reach, as long as they are on social media. And with one-sixth of the world population on Facebook, how can you go wrong?
The secret to making paid social media marketing work for you is to offer something of value to the users who arrive on your page or website from the ads. Whether it’s information, special promotions or discounts, you need to provide a fair exchange in order to get their contact details.